Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Day 20 -- Decisions that have made a difference

After spending time with our cattle family and working with both our crew and customers that want to make the cattle business theirs someday, I got a little reflective.

Alan made some decisions in college and beyond that I think made the difference in who he (and I guess, me and the farm) are today:

-deciding to spend time on livestock judging teams.  I think if I counted them all, he spent four full college semesters of his life traveling with a team on weekends, after classes, and during the spring break, winter break period learning how to evaluate cattle, sheep and pigs.  Not an easy decision for a frat boy, who, because of this involvement, made it to very few social events.  However, that dedication, and decision to spend his time that way allowed him to be selected as a junior show judge at a national show this weekend.

-spending time with breeders who could help him learn the business.  Alan spent his college career working for people who were leaders in the industry -- one of them is someone who now buys cattle from us!  By working for these breeders, going to national shows, meeting people, and being a part of the scene, he learned what he needed to do to become successful in the Angus business as a breeder.  I'm thankful that these people gave him this opportunity when he was younger -- and I hope we are returning the favor to a few who want to do the same thing someday.

-taking on leadership positions in the breed.  I watch the members of the National Junior Angus Board, a group of youth in a leadership board for junior activities for the Angus breed, and I hope they realize what an awesome opportunity that they have been presented.  Alan ran for this board, and was elected to this board, with little experience, no name recognition, and little idea of what it would do for him.  I think now he would say without question that his involvement, and exposure to the people in the breed while a member of the board, not to mention the friendships he made with his peers who were on the board with him (and now are breeders themselves), is a large part of why he was able to start and carry Prairie View Farms to the place it is today -- a nationally recognized breeder of show cattle stock and genetics that breeders are interested in.

So I'm happy then to offer opportunities to younger cattlemen and women who want to also learn the business, and become breeders themselves.  And I want to help those in leadership positions in the breed see what opportunities they are getting to experience while they are on boards, serving as presidents, or just participating.  Without sounding like one of those older people who were always lecturing me when I was a kid.  My reaction was usually:  yeah yeah yeah, this is an experience of a lifetime, whatever.  It's a lot of work right now. . .

I don't want to be that person. . .




1 comment:

  1. The picture of will helping clip is pricless and so cute!

    ReplyDelete