Thursday, November 14, 2013

Day 14 -- All is calm, all is quiet

I'm nearly halfway through this 30 days blog -- I see Holly Spangler is diligent as ever so I'm determined to be as well.  And for the first time this month I can say that it's quiet here.  All the show cattle have left for the North American International Livestock Exhibition in Louisville, as well as most of the guys working here.  The lights are off in the barns, and strangely, there's no one talking on their cell phone in the house right now.  It's quiet.

When I thought about living in the country before we moved here six years ago I thought a lot about how I would enjoy the quiet of living without neighbors, cars driving by, people walking on the street, emergency vehicles, noises that come with town.  However, I quickly learned living here that the farm is ANYTHING but quiet.  There are tractors driving by; the feed truck pulling through the lane; my father in law coming in to check on us, employees walking in and out of barns, houses, shops; customers' trucks opening and closing and trailers backing; and oh yea, cows mooing.  At all hours of the day and night.

So quiet is again something I can appreciate, because it's a rarity.  And tomorrow we'll head to Louisville, and I'll forget what quiet is like again for awhile.

(While it was quiet I've been working on our website - there are 12 photos up of the cows for our sale!  Check it out!)

http://pvfangus.com/sales.html

No comments:

Post a Comment