Monday, November 11, 2013

Day 11 -- What I wanted to do. . .

It takes 2 hours to take out the trash on our farm.

I started today with Alan gone fixing the truck (see yesterday's blog for more on this subject), and I thought -- yahoo!  No one with a list for me so I'll just run outside for a bit and get some things done in the yard that I WANT TO DO.

I start by loading our ranger with the garbage in the garage to take to our burn pile.

To go to our burn pile, you drive our ranger to the east side of our farmstead, open two spring gates, close an iron gate to the cow lot, and pray that the cows who are out on pasture don't decide to come in for a drink while you are driving through.

Luckily, there were no cows, so I think, Hey!  I'll just run around and get the rest of the garbage on the farm, and we'll burn all this trash before the rain comes (it turned out to be snow, I may have another blog on snow tomorrow).

There are garbage receptacles in four barns, plus hay netting around the farm, plus silage bags, plus feed bags, plus other junk that I like to throw in the pile before I burn it so my father in law doesn't say "oh, don't throw that away -- it could be used for something someday".

So I spent hours running around grabbing all these things, chasing cows back in between my runs, getting dirty, and all of the sudden, two hours passed by, and I didn't get to what I wanted to do in the first place.

Not sit and read a book, not relax by the fire.  Clean the landscaping up.

Just another day at the farm.


No comments:

Post a Comment