Sunday, November 10, 2013

Day 10 -- My kids

We have two full time employees and I feel like they are as much our kids as our three biological children are.

Clayton has been with us a bit over a year -- and is a part of our family.  Last night, when we sent him on the road with cows in our truck and trailer, I worried about him.  Not because he has our cows, but because he's going out on his own on a big trip, by himself.  And my worries were confirmed when he called saying he was having truck trouble -- we told him to turn around and bring our hobbling truck back home.  Today we gave him a different rig and sent him off again, and he called with the SAME problem, but this time too far away from us to be able to call him back home.

I could start on a tirade about the fact that we ALWAYS have a problem like this right before a big event (remember I said we were one week away from one of our biggest promotions of the year -- we leave Wednesday), or that owning "stuff" associated with a business brings NOTHING but trouble because all of these things need to be maintained, cared for etc. (and believe me, I could go on about this, ask my friends), but really, my main concern was Clayton.  And if he was ok.

Am I going to be this much of a basket case when my kids start to drive, leave on their own from my home?  Am I already?  This is an employee, right?  NO.  When these guys are at our house as much as they are, eating meals with us, playing basketball with us, spending ALL of their waking hours with us, they are my kids too.  And I have to worry.  Now I know what my mother felt like when I took off by myself. . .I'm waiting for her to say I told you so.

No comments:

Post a Comment